June 01, 2005

Creating Workarounds for the NID Enablers

Our coverage of Hewlett Packard and Microsoft's involvement in the coming National ID (which I'm going to start abbreviating NID) has gotten a fair amount of attention. Thanks, everyone! Many good comments have been offered, suggesting alternatives to Microsoft and HP products. That's an important step to take, for several reasons:

1] By not supporting these companies, they have fewer profits to plow into the R&D, advertising, and other pushing of their spying stuff onto us (letting them know why you won't buy their products -- with a polite letter, as Kirsten suggests -- is a very good idea too);

2] Your shopping will be consistent with your principles -- no supporting companies whose actions are stealing this country's liberty; and perhaps most important --

3] As the NID progresses, it will be increasingly important to have networks of individuals outside the system to do business with. This can take many forms, and I'm not going to address them now. Thinking now of goods and services that you can offer, that will not feed into the NID enablers or their spy networks, is an excellent idea.

For example, it astonishes me how many individuals think that one "has to" buy a computer pre-assembled at a store like Best Buy or CompUSA. I've never done that; and after the very first computer I owned, I've always had my machines custom built. After a mom & pop type computer store gave me a "Linux compatible" machine that had a Winmodem (definitely not Tux-friendly equipment), I stopped relying on retailers completely. I'm fortunate to have a highly trusted friend who's willing to build my machines for me, with my input. But it isn't that difficult ... and having machines without the Intel spychip inside, etc., will be increasingly important.

Readers with decent tech skills can see the entrepreneurial possibilities here, and doubtless several others that are related. For those who are new to the idea, check out PriceWatch as just one example of a place where one can get great deals on all sorts of tech equipment.

For software, options are growing, even while certain companies try to increase and expand their strangleholds on our computers. Linux is perhaps the most mentioned alternative to Windows, but it still has a significant fear factor for many users. Knoppix offers an excellent way of trying Linux without actually installing anything on one's machine -- just boot from the CD and give different programs a try. I know less about this one, but Ubuntu is billed as "Linux for human beings". And Brad Spangler posted a link to VectorLinux that has me highly intrigued.

And there are operating system alternatives beyond Linux. Apple/Mac is a well-known one -- but I'll admit I don't know what their behind-the-curtain meddling might be like. Other alternatives I know of off the top of my head include BSD (several flavors -- like Linux, they're derived from Unix, but that's the extent of my knowledge) and Solaris. Do some searching on the web for "windows alternatives" or similar phrases, and you'll find a lot more. Yeah, it'll take some legwork, but isn't it worth it not to have a computer that tattles on you or restricts what you can do with your own files?

Other suggestions and ideas are welcome.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just blogged you: http://stephensonstrategies.com/2005/06/01.html#a304

add me to the Real ID opponents list (on the left side of things....)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Ozark Nick said...

Just found this blog. I love it. Please ad my name to the list of rebels!

Ozarks Nick

10:14 AM  
Blogger Sunfell said...

I prefer hand-building my machines. Haven't tried Linux yet, but Knoppix sounds intriguing. And I am an AMD person all the way.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For a list of "live" Linux CD's check out: http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php. And please add me to the list of rebels.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For people with a Linux "fear factor", I highly recommend Robin Miller's excellent book "Point and Click Linux".

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131488724/qid=1097319871/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-6296177-5700622?v=glance&s=books
In case that long URL gets mangled, you might try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/b4mg3

The book comes with a Knoppix-like bootable Linux distro on CD named SimplyMEPIS.

It ALSO comes with instructional videos on DVD.

This is the Linux book I would buy for grandma.

Vector is sweet, in my own geeky opinion, once installed -- but you *do* have to have some idea of what you're doing when partitioning for installation. Note also that I'm talking about the SOHO edition.

And -- oh, yeah -- a sidebar link would be sweet. Thanks.

1:23 AM  

<< Home